Data Literacy and Visualization - The New Big Data Skills
Wednesday, May 5, 2021
“No matter how big your data, you must master communication though visualization to influence business decisions.”
Visualization is the new communication medium – not the activity of making charts! Learn how to apply the foundations of visual language, evoke what people really want from their data, and unleash your creativity.
Develop leadership in the processes, people, and culture around visualization. To make big data successful requires you to build new skills in visualization and change how teams work together.
This workshop is more than amazing ideas you can put into action immediately. The exercises build your confidence with practical ways to improve your visualizations and make it easy to see insights.
Are you ready to transform how your organization makes decisions and takes action?
LANGUAGE OF VISUAL COMMUNICATION
The building blocks of visualization
- An introduction to your brain
- Understanding the six core traits
- Deep dive on properly using color
Stories you may need to tell
- Trends and Relationships
- Comparisons, Range of Values
- Differences, Targets vs. Actuals
DEVELOP YOUR ANALYTICS STORY
- Step 1: Ask the Magic Question™
- Step 2: Transform to Action-oriented
- Step 3: Develop the main ideas
- Step 4: Arrange the storyline
- Contest: the Gauntlet
COMPOSE YOUR ANALYTICS STORY
- Storyboards: Learn the three secrets
- Exercise: Yes, you are creative!
- Exercise: Viz Listener’s Worksheet™
DecisionViz helps you become a great communicator of data
Companies spend a tremendous amount of money and time on big data and visualization technology – then the investments have limited success or completely stall. They don’t give much thought to how people will use these new capabilities to drive decisions and take action. To make big data successful requires elevating teams with new skills in data visualization, turning data into stories, and changing how business and IT teams work together.